Thursday, October 27, 2016

Five Ideas to celebrate Green Diwali


 





I love this Season. I love to feel the festivity in the air. I love ‘Diwali’. But, I am scared of breathing the polluted air….the huge sounds around….and the allergies it brings along……

This Diwali, I am expecting some twists in the stories….

“Mamma, we will not burst crackers in Diwali!”, My son entered home along with his fellow partners, straight from the playground.

“Why beta?”  I wondered.

“Air will be polluted, birds will die….” 

“Yes aunty! We will not burst rockets and crackers this year…” Others also supported…

….I was amazed.  Thanks to those parents and teachers, who instill these gleaming thoughts in the kids’ minds.  It’s really an awesome feeling to see kids advocating “Green Diwali”. 

So, now I am planning how to celebrate Diwali without Crackers! Here are few ideas in my mind….

  1. Illuminate home with diyas (earthen lamps) and candles. This will not only reduce the amount of electricity being consumed, the iridescent diyas will look prettier too. Another option can be LED lights as they use at least 80% lesser energy than the regular ones.
  2. Not only the elders, but kids also enjoy the colorful rangolis. Instead of using artificial colours, we can use spices and other food items too. The fragrance of the Rangolies, made out of fresh flowers creates the perfect festive ambience.
  3. Twist colourful saris and dupattas to create streamers. Or paint old newspapers and hang them up as wall decorations.  Use banana leaves and small earthen glasses to serve the guests.
  4. Make sweets at home instead of buying from the market. Involve kids in the preparation too.
  5. Spend some time with underprivileged children or an old-age home. Donate old clothes, stationary etc, play games with them.


Hope, you liked my ideas…..

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...